The goal of this website is to be a safe for souls website advancing Catholic thinking and education. When editing, please adhere to the Content Standards.
Some images have been enhanced for teaching purposes and may not be identical to the original artwork.
1. Garments in general; clothes; dress; raiment; covering. From others he shall stand in need of nothing, Yet on his brothers shall depend for clothing. Milton. As for me, . . . my clothing was sackloth. Ps. xxxv. 13
2. The art of process of making cloth. [R.] Instructing [refugees] in the art of clothing. Ray.
3. A covering of non-conducting material on the outside of a boiler, or steam chamber, to prevent radiation of heat. Knight.
Defn: See Card clothing, under 3d Card.
Ap*par"el, n. Etym: [OE. apparel, apareil, OF. apareil, appareil, preparation, provision, furniture, OF. apareiller to match, prepare, F. appareiller; OF. a (L. ad) + pareil like, similar, fr. LL. pariculus, dim. of L. par equal. See Pair.]
1. External clothing; vesture; garments; dress; garb; external habiliments or array. Fresh in his new apparel, proud and young. Denham. At public devotion his resigned carriage made religion appear in the natural apparel of simplicity. Tatler.
2. A small ornamental piece of embroidery worn on albs and some other ecclesiastical vestments.
Defn: The furniture of a ship, as masts, sails, rigging, anchors, guns, etc.
-- Dress; clothing; vesture; garments; raiment; garb; costume; attire; habiliments.
Ap*par"el, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Appareled, or Apparelled; p. pr. & vb. n. Appareling, or Apparelling.] Etym: [OF. apareiller.]
1. To make or get (something) ready; to prepare. [Obs.] Chaucer.
2. To furnish with apparatus; to equip; to fit out. Ships . . . appareled to fight. Hayward.
3. To dress or clothe; to attire. They which are gorgeously appareled, and live delicately, are in kings' courts. Luke vii. 25.
4. To dress with external ornaments; to cover with something ornamental; to deck; to embellish; as, trees appareled with flowers, or a garden with verdure. Appareled in celestial light. Wordsworth.
This category has the following 16 subcategories, out of 16 total.
Pages in category "Clothing"
This category contains only the following page.
Media in category "Clothing"
The following 71 files are in this category, out of 71 total.