The goal of this website is to be a safe for souls website advancing Catholic thinking and education. When editing, please adhere to the Content Standards.
Some images have been enhanced for teaching purposes and may not be identical to the original artwork.
Ref"er*ence (rf"r-ens), n. Etym: [see refer.]
1. The act of referring, or the state of being referred; as, Reference to a chart for quidance.
2. That which refers to something; a specific direction of the Attention; as, a reference in a text-book.
3. Relation; regard; respect. Something that hath a reference to my state. Shak.
4. One who, or that which, is referred to. Specifically; (a) one of whom inquires can be made as to the integrity, capacity, And the like, of another. (b) a work, or a passage in a work, to which one is referred.
5. (law) (a) the act of submitting a matter in dispute to the judgment of one Or more persons for decision. (b) (equity)
Defn: the process of sending any matter, for inquiry in a cause, to a Master or other officer, in order that he may ascertain facts and Report to the court.
6. Appeal. [r.] "make your full reference." Shak. Reference bible, a Bible in which brief explanations, and references to parallel Passages, are printed in the margin of the text.
This category currently contains no pages or media.