The goal of this website is to be a safe for souls website advancing Catholic thinking and education. When editing, please adhere to the Content Standards.
Some images have been enhanced for teaching purposes and may not be identical to the original artwork.
Defn: ware; aware. [obs.] Chaucer.
War War, n. Etym: [oe. & as. werre; akin to ohg. werra scandal, quarrel, Sedition, werran to confound, mix, d. warren, g. wirren, verwirren, To embroil, confound, disturb, and perhaps to e. worse; cf. Of. werre War, f. querre, of teutonic origin. Cf. Guerrilla, warrior.]
1. A contest between nations or states, carried on by force, whether For defence, for revenging insults and redressing wrongs, for the Extension of commerce, for the acquisition of territory, for Obtaining and establishing the superiority and dominion of one over The other, or for any other purpose; armed conflict of sovereign Powers; declared and open hostilities. Men will ever distinguish war from mere bloodshed. F. W. Robertson.
Note: as war is the contest of nations or states, it always implies That such contest is authorized by the monarch or the sovereign power Of the nation. A war begun by attacking another nation, is called an Offensive war, and such attack is aggressive. War undertaken to repel Invasion, or the attacks of an enemy, is called defensive.
Defn: a condition of belligerency to be maintained by physical force. In this sense, levying war against the sovereign authority is Treason.
3. Instruments of war. [poetic] His complement of stores, and total war. Prior.
4. Forces; army. [poetic] On their embattled ranks the waves return, and overwhelm their war. Milton.
5. The profession of arms; the art of war. Thou art but a youth, and he is a man of war from his youth. 1 sam. Xvii. 33.
6. a state of opposition or contest; an act of opposition; an Inimical contest, act, or action; enmity; hostility. "raised impious War in heaven." Milton. The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in his Heart. Ps. lv. 21. Civil war, a war between different sections or parties of the same Country or nation.
-- holy war. See under holy. -- man of war. (naut.) See in the vocabulary. -- public war, a war between independent sovereign states. -- war cry, a cry or signal used in war; as, the indian war cry. -- war dance, a dance among savages preliminary to going to war.
Among the north american indians, it is begun by some distinguished Chief, and whoever joins in it thereby enlists as one of the party Engaged in a warlike excursion. Schoolcraft.
-- war field, a field of war or battle. -- war horse, a horse used in war; the horse of a cavalry soldier;
Especially, a strong, powerful, spirited horse for military service; A charger.
-- war paint, paint put on the face and other parts of the body by
Savages, as a token of going to war. "wash the war paint from your Faces." Longfellow.
-- war song, a song of or pertaining to war; especially, among the
American indians, a song at the war dance, full of incitements to Military ardor.
-- war whoop, a war cry, especially that uttered by the american
War War, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Warred; p. pr. & vb. n. Warring.] 1
Defn: to make war; to invade or attack a state or nation with force Of arms; to carry on hostilities; to be in a state by violence. Rezin the king of syria, and pekah the son of remaliah, king of Israel, went up toward jerusalem to war against it. Isa. vii. 1. Why should i war without the walls of troy shak. Our countrymen were warring on that day! Byron.
2. To contend; to strive violently; to fight. "lusts which war Against the soul." 1 pet. ii. 11.
War War, v. t.
1. To make war upon; to fight. [r.] To war the scot, and borders to defend. Daniel.
2. To carry on, as a contest; to wage. [r.] That thou . . . mightest war a good warfare. Tim. i. 18.
---excerpt from the Illustrated Bible Dictionary
War - The Israelites had to take possession of the Promised Land by conquest. They had to engage in a long and bloody war before the Canaanitish tribes were finally subdued. Except in the case of Jericho and Ai, the war did not become aggressive till after the death of Joshua. Till then the attack was always first made by the Canaanites. Now the measure of the iniquity of the Canaanites was full, and Israel was employed by God to sweep them away from off the face of the earth. In entering on this new stage of the war, the tribe of Judah, according to divine direction, took the lead. In the days of Saul and David the people of Israel engaged in many wars with the nations around, and after the division of the kingdom into two they often warred with each other. They had to defend themselves also against the inroads of the Egyptians, the Assyrians, and the Babylonians. The whole history of Israel from first to last presents but few periods of peace. The Christian life is represented as a warfare, and the Christian graces are also represented under the figure of pieces of armor (Ephesians 6:11; 1 Thessalonians 5:8; 2 Timothy 2:3, 2 Timothy 2:4). The final blessedness of believers is attained as the fruit of victory (Revelation 3:21).
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Media in category "War"
The following 10 files are in this category, out of 10 total.
A Pike and shot mode...
Destruction of Jerus...
Destruction of Jerus...
Our Lady of Prompt S...
Our Lady of Prompt S...
Pike and shot model ...
Pike and shot model.jpg
Siege and Destructio...